Protein supplements are needed for making bigger and leaner muscles; together with adequate exercise and a healthy diet, you can make your health and bodybuilding goals within reach.
But how do you choose the right supplements that have the right amount of protein that your body actually needs?
Popular ingredients for protein supplements:
Protein is measured by Biological Value or BV which is basically a measurement of how well the body can absorb and utilize a type of protein which is based on nitrogen retention. In general, the higher the biological value of a certain type of protein, the more nitrogen your body can absorb and retain to be used to be able to acquire lean muscle mass.
The type of protein which has the highest BV is whey protein at 104. The next in line is egg protein at 100 and milk protein at third place with 100.
Other than these, there are several amazing protein sources in the market and here is a list of the most popular which are used in most protein supplement products.
Popular ingredients found in good quality protein supplements:
- Whey protein – is a part of the most popular supplement brands because it has the ability to reduce stress during workout routines and can lower cortisol levels to prevent destruction of muscle cells post workout. It can increase glutathione levels to improve immunity, reduce blood pressure and are very easy to digest.
- Pea protein – the humble pea takes on a new twist, it has been found that it is the perfect protein to supplement vegetarians who are trying to build muscle; it is entirely plant based without a single trace of animal byproducts. It is also hypoallergenic which is a great supplement for those who have allergies and food sensitivities. Pea proteins have a rich supply of essential branched-chain amino acids (leucine, isoleucine and valine). When you consume pea protein, during and after your workout, you will be able to restore muscle mass even after the workout is over.
- Rice protein – rice protein is rice powder which is rich in vitamins B and E, it is also a perfect source of plant fiber and carbohydrates. This type of protein is also recommended for people who are hypoallergenic; it will never cause gastric irritation and can even cure ailments like irritable bowel syndrome, lactose intolerance and food allergies. Vegetarians will also benefit from protein from rice powder since vegetarian diets have no animal protein sources.
- Milk protein – are highly bio-available type of protein which is ideal when you want a steady supply of protein the entire day; it is released slowly into the blood stream. The most common protein found in milk is calcium caseinate; this has the ability to provide a steady release of amino acids into the blood stream which is expected from a long lasting muscle–protecting protein.
So what type of protein supplements do you need?
Learning about protein does not stop here, there are also types of protein supplements which you also need to consider. Should you go for a protein bar, protein shake or how about protein powder?
- Weight gainers or protein shakes are the most popular and usually contains a high calorie base along with 25 to 35 grams of protein. The most common protein sources for weight gainers are whey, milk and egg protein.
- Meal replacement powders have lower calories than weight gainers. MRPs were created due to the fact that not everyone has a weight gain problem. These are composed mainly of whey and milk proteins.
- Protein powders can be a single protein source or a blend of different protein types. Usually, protein powders have no more than 5 grams of carbohydrates and 15 to 25 grams of protein per serving.
- Protein bars are mainly bars (like chocolate bars) that are made of a particular type of protein or a combination. Sometimes protein bars may contain too much sugar and these should be avoided especially when you are trying to lose weight.
- Ready-to-drink protein shakes are the most popular protein supplements and usually have high protein content together with other nutrients like vitamins and minerals. These are very convenient to people who cannot afford to prepare energy shakes or protein shakes at home and for people who are always on the go.
Now what kind of protein supplements are you going to choose?
The protein supplements you pick depend greatly on what you want to accomplish. Using the tips above the best choice would contain whey, rice and pea protein in the form of a protein shake powder using milk, or water if you want a lower calorie choice. One of the better quality protein supplements available is this deluxe protein shake charged with long lasting energy enhancing muscle building amino acids that many people really enjoy drinking daily.